Tuesday, September 15, 2015

two hundred sixty-nine

"Remembering The Clouds"
The "Zoo To Do" is a fund raiser for animals.  The fund raising arm of the North Carolina Zoo plans a stellar event under the stars to benefit the continued ability to enjoy the largest walk-through zoo experience in the world.

This year the 33rd annual event is called "An Affair To Remember".  Area artists donate their art along with other donated goods & services; there's a big tent; and everybody is a 'party-animal' for one night.  The band plays, the auctioneer calls, and we eat tasty vittles -- not necessarily in that order.

There's been a joke between the main coordinator, Karen Powell and myself in regards to creating the image of an animal to be auctioned off.  See, each year that I am asked to donate a work of art, I tend to contribute a non-zoo themed image -- images of cars, a ballerina, etc.  This year, however I kept my promise: new work that depicts an animal.  And since elephants never forget -- I felt an image of the African variety would jive with the theme.


Creating atmosphere one hash mark at a time.
Alrighty -- got the idea.  Now let's draw.  Cloud imagery is a recent exploration for me; as is working with white and black charcoal on toned paper.  Those familiar with my work know that when I draw it's usually lots of layering and/or loads of hash marks.  Love me some cross-hatching.  The hardest part of the project was getting the elephant to stop fidgeting in his chair.  Just kidding -- there was no chair.  The resulting framed 18" x 24" drawing titled, "Remembering The Clouds" will soon be on the auction block.  The event takes place on Saturday, September 26th.  More info here.

It is an honor to be among the animals and the variety of creative talent in order to continue to experience wildlife in our own backyard.    

No comments:

Post a Comment