Wednesday, August 30, 2017

two hundred eighty-five

Turn Around
The call for entry requested artwork that was so sweet it was a bit dangerous.  I got that.  I gotta whole show about this topic.  Back in August 2016 there was the debut of "Going Down" over at Winston-Salem's Ember Gallery.  It was a series of mixed media paintings exploring various mythological demons enjoying their dastardly work (check out post 276). 

These artworks are loaded with pepto-pink hearts and evil creatures in love with what they do for a living.  See, it may be evil but they loooove what they do.  Is that so bad?  Or more to the point I was encouraging folks to consider the concept of how something so dark could also be full of love.  Juxtaposition themes rule in my fine art and this series is no exception.  I bet there are many out there who also connect hearts with devils.

Back to "Sweet N Low" -- that's the name of the international exhibition hosted by the Bedford Gallery in Walnut Creek, California.  And of the plethora of artists selected for the task, Margaret Keane (big eyes -- look her up) was included (and inspired?) the show.  It was an honor to show in the same large ass gallery with her and all the other artists.  Leading up to the opening reception the Bedford Gallery posted lots of enjoyeable pre-game images, and sent a stack of cool show cards.  Such great talent to be hanging with -- so damn sweet.

showing your cards
Several available artworks from Going Down were sent in for the Sweet N Low consideration.  The jurors were Susannah Kelly and Neil Perry from Portland, OR's Antler Gallery and Evan Pricco, Editor-In-Chief over at Juxtapoz Magazine.  In addition to that star studded lineup the show title - the show title: Sweet N Low simply called to me.  Low brow.  Sweet, sugary images.  How much more of a good fit does one need?  And here too -- on the left coast an exhibition was being organized that celebrated this genre of art.  I feel my work is in this similar vein and it flowed.  I didn't feel alone.  I mean, there are plenty of low brow artists.  I'm not a low brow.  Nor am I a regular devil painter.  It all just flowed deliciously.  Go team.

"Turn Around" was selected.  It's an image of a dark, "twisted bunny" -- so dark and yet the figure is internally illuminated by rosy hearts.  The cute, red eye demon is also silhouetted by a melting pizza moon, and, what else, feathers - so sweet 'n low.  Off he was shipped to the show.  I decided to not go.  I mean, eat for a month or attend an art show in California.  Life choices were made.  I got plenty of jabs from my local friends for not going.  I like to eat.

sharing the love
As luck would have it I got a plug from an attendee of the show.  She posted on Instagram several images that she and her partner enjoyed over on the left coast.  We typed a bit and shared thank yous -- she even mentioned that my piece was her partner's favorite of the show.  And many other attendees and artists did the same thing -- post images from their experience with the exhibition.  It was a first time for me to benefit from the intertube virtualness.  So nice and dark.

The show runs June 22 - August 27, 2017 at the Bedford Gallery located in the Lesher Center for the Arts, 1601 Civic Dr, Walnut Creek, CA.  Bring yer fuzzy horns.

No comments:

Post a Comment